Paris energy giant Total said it’s beefing up its presence in the Gulf of Mexico by buying into Chevron-led discoveries.
Total said it is acquiring 12.5 percent stakes from Oklahoma’s Samson Energy in four blocks in the recent Anchor field discovery made by Chevron.
“The entry in the Anchor discovery further increases Total’s footprint in deepwater Gulf of Mexico,” said Arnaud Breuillac, Total’s president of exploration and production at Total.
Chevron continues to own 55 percent of the Anchor blocks.
Total’s deal with Samson also includes another 12.5 percent stake in a nearby Green Canyon exploration block in the Gulf, where Total already owned a 25 percent stake.
Total also joined with Chevron last year in agreeing to jointly develop other Gulf of Mexico prospects.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Opinion: Changed days for operators and the supply chain?
- Does the UK’s subsea industry actually belong to the UK?
- Opinion: Ruling finally gives clarity over evidence for North Sea prohibition appeals
- Opinion: Scrap the shady underbelly of offshore industry
- Can The Shale Boom Avoid These Bottlenecks?