An emergency response vehicle has spotted a pod of Orcas in the North Sea.
The Emergency Response and Rescue Vessel (ERRV) came close to the whales while out on its 24th day on patrol, around 100 nautical miles north-east of Lerwick.
Chief officer of the vessel, Graeme Hately caught on camera what appears to be a family of Orcas, otherwise known as killer whales.
Mr Hately posted the pictures on the vessel’s Facebook page “Life at Sea on an ERRV”.
The ship and its 15 crew eat, sleep and work at sea for a month at a time.
Under his YouTube username Bigwavemaster1, he has recorded other spectacular events such a huge wave hitting the ship. The youtube page has racked up millions of hits online.
Mr Hately, who lives in Nottinghamshire, records a video blog for the crew and is always on the look out for unusual happenings.
More from Bigwavemaster1 here.
Recommended for you
Read the latest opinion pieces from our Energy Voice columnists
- Standardising specifications: a new approach
- OPINION: Victim’s son fears another Piper Alpha is ‘just around the corner’
- OPINION: Contractor lawyers in demand as firms reluctant to return to bloated workforces
- OPINION: Are Electric Vehicles changing BP’s business model?
- OPINION: Where helicopter safety is concerned, regulations matter