Calendar An icon of a desk calendar. Cancel An icon of a circle with a diagonal line across. Caret An icon of a block arrow pointing to the right. Email An icon of a paper envelope. Facebook An icon of the Facebook "f" mark. Google An icon of the Google "G" mark. Linked In An icon of the Linked In "in" mark. Logout An icon representing logout. Profile An icon that resembles human head and shoulders. Telephone An icon of a traditional telephone receiver. Tick An icon of a tick mark. Is Public An icon of a human eye and eyelashes. Is Not Public An icon of a human eye and eyelashes with a diagonal line through it. Pause Icon A two-lined pause icon for stopping interactions. Quote Mark A opening quote mark. Quote Mark A closing quote mark. Arrow An icon of an arrow. Folder An icon of a paper folder. Breaking An icon of an exclamation mark on a circular background. Camera An icon of a digital camera. Caret An icon of a caret arrow. Clock An icon of a clock face. Close An icon of the an X shape. Close Icon An icon used to represent where to interact to collapse or dismiss a component Comment An icon of a speech bubble. Comments An icon of a speech bubble, denoting user comments. Ellipsis An icon of 3 horizontal dots. Envelope An icon of a paper envelope. Facebook An icon of a facebook f logo. Camera An icon of a digital camera. Home An icon of a house. Instagram An icon of the Instagram logo. LinkedIn An icon of the LinkedIn logo. Magnifying Glass An icon of a magnifying glass. Search Icon A magnifying glass icon that is used to represent the function of searching. Menu An icon of 3 horizontal lines. Hamburger Menu Icon An icon used to represent a collapsed menu. Next An icon of an arrow pointing to the right. Notice An explanation mark centred inside a circle. Previous An icon of an arrow pointing to the left. Rating An icon of a star. Tag An icon of a tag. Twitter An icon of the Twitter logo. Video Camera An icon of a video camera shape. Speech Bubble Icon A icon displaying a speech bubble WhatsApp An icon of the WhatsApp logo. Information An icon of an information logo. Plus A mathematical 'plus' symbol. Duration An icon indicating Time. Success Tick An icon of a green tick. Success Tick Timeout An icon of a greyed out success tick. Loading Spinner An icon of a loading spinner.

North Sea oil field hits three billion barrels after 50 years

© Supplied by ConocoPhillipsNorth Sea 50 years
The Ekofisk Area started production in 1971.

A North Sea oil field is celebrating production of more than three billion barrels since starting up 50 years ago.

ConocoPhillips said the Ekofisk reservoir, which started production in 1971, hit the milestone in the Autumn.

During that timeframe the Greater Ekofisk Area, comprised of eight fields, has since hit total production of six billion barrels of oil equivalent in the Norwegian North Sea.

Jan-Arne Johansen, ConocoPhillips general manager for operated assets Europe, said: “Over five decades, Ekofisk has been developed and maintained by thousands of committed employees and contractors.

“Through continued innovation and teamwork, we continue to build our business for the long-term.”

ConocoPhillips said the asset has generated billions of pounds of value during that time, including significant taxes and fees to the Norwegian government.

Around 3,000 people work on the Ekofisk installations, rigs and vessels, while around 1,000 employees and contractors work offshore at any given time.

There are also around 900 employees working onshore to support operations.

Goliat

Meanwhile, Var Energi is celebrating a milestone from Goliat, a far younger field in the Barents Sea.

North Sea 50 years © Supplied by Var Energi
The team on the Goliat FPSO.

The firm said 100million barrels have now been produced from the asset, currently the world’s most northern producing oil field.

Goliat was discovered in 2000 before approval in 2009 and and start up in March 2016.

The field has since delivered 128 shipments of Barents Sea oil to the market.

Var Energi said in a social media post: “Thank you Team Goliat – for your safe operations, dedication and strong will to win in the Barents Sea. You make us proud.”

Goliat is operated by Var Energi with a 65% interest, while the remaining 35% stake is held by partner Equinor.

Recommended for you

More from Energy Voice

Latest Posts