Petrofac has won work worth around $17million (£12.3m) for the Ithaca Energy Captain field, securing more than 40 jobs at the energy services firm.
The contract, lasting two and a half years, will help “bring to life” stage two of the Captain Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) project, which was greenlit in April.
Petrofac will be responsible for fabrication, construction and commissioning of the new topsides development, providing work on and offshore.
The £400million EOR phase two project is aimed at recovering around 40million barrels of oil equivalent.
This deal builds on Petrofac’s record of work with Ithaca, supporting the FPF1 production hub since 2011 and the Captain, Alba and Erskine assets since 2014.
Last year the firm won a new five-year contract for operations, maintenance, engineering, construction across all of Ithaca’s operated North Sea assets.
Petrofac chief operating officer Nick Shorten said: “This award is an excellent example of our long-standing collaboration with Ithaca Energy.
“As incumbent Integrated Services Contractor, Petrofac is in a unique position to maximise productivity across both the project and ongoing operations on Captain. In mature basins, the incremental efficiencies and reduction of interfaces achieved through integrated delivery, drive huge value as our clients seek to extend field life.”
Greenlighting the EOR phase two earlier this year, Ithaca Energy said it demonstrated the company’s commitment to the North Sea where investment decisions have been rare amid the recent downturn.
EOR involves adding polymers to water to make it thicker and – once introduced to the reservoir — more effective at sweeping oil towards production wells.
Former Captain field operator Chevron sanctioned phase one in 2017, claiming the technology would boost recovery by 5-7%.
In May, TechnipFMC was awarded a contract for flowlines, risers and umbilicals for the project for an undisclosed fee, somewhere between $75m – $250m (£54.4m – £181.5m).
The billion-barrel Captain field lies about 90 miles north-east of Aberdeen, in the outer Moray Firth.
It is 85% owned by Ithaca, with the remaining 15% held by partner Dana Petroleum.