Under the tender, the winning bidder would invest around $200 million in the GTL plant and will also provide gas condensate supplies.
HyAfrica carried out fieldwork in Morocco and South Africa earlier this year. The group reported “very promising” results in Ain Bni Matha and Mpumalanga respectively, detecting multiple hydrogen seeps.
However, the South African Oil & Gas Alliance (SAOGA) said approval from the NA was “one step forward in the correct direction”.
Total plans to drill one exploration well. Should it be successful, it may drill up to nine more.
Renergen said it would consider social media comments and may take “appropriate next steps to protect the interests of all of its shareholders”.
“Each time Kinetiko adds commercial production plans within its exploration rights, it will be able to grow Reserve Certifications by eventual orders of magnitude”, he said.
Fostering increased collaboration between private players and regional governments will be crucial to optimise renewable energy resources at a larger scale.
Under the decision, Sasol must achieve concentration-based limits for SO2 at the Secunda steam plant boilers. The company had applied to be allowed to operate on a load-based limit – but this was rejected.
“As a result, market confidence in South Africa’s utility-scale public procurement appears too low to underpin industrial and inclusive development on its own,” the report said.
South Africa Infrastructure Minister Sihle Zikalala highlighted the Boegoebaai green hydrogen plans earlier this year. The “hydrogen project has a potential to create an additional 35,000 work opportunities once it commences and all feasibility studies are completed”.
In the meantime, Sasol warned of “continued pricing and demand volatility” to come.
Lesufi said there had been a “high smell of gas” in the area before. “Egoli Gas remains the centre of our focus because all of us agree that the cause of this explosion or impact is gas,” he said.
The surprise departure of Oberholzer comes as Eskom struggles to provide power to South Africa. Eskom announced Stage 6 loadshedding on the weekend, reducing this as the week began.
This, he said, was “the first of the package of measures that we have to respond to your resistance to return the ship to us”. Obiang described the 76-metre Blue Shadow as a military asset.
“At least three exploration wells offshore the Northern Cape province will be drilled in 2024 to prove the petroleum resource potential in the Orange Basin.”
At this point, the report said, drilling lost five days. It attributed this to “trying to latch on to the wellhead because the rig compensator failed”. It noted the “situation was exacerbated by the rig guide funnel having been left behind in Norway”.
The work would involve up to 300 new production wells, 480 km of gas transmission pipelines, three compressor stations and a new combined LNG and helium plant.
“We have a very strategic position in the basin,” Eco CEO Gil Holzman said this week. “Block 3B/4B is exactly on trend with Graff and Venus”, Shell and Total’s finds respectively.
The move comes as Eskom has warned that load shedding is on the rise. It has warned this could reach Stage 8 in the coming winter, in a worst-case scenario.
Mantashe made it clear that he blamed foreign-funded NGOs for the slow process of development. “They block development in our country”.
The Department of Mineral Resources (DMRE) accepted the scoping report on March 24.
“We are deeply concerned about reports that the erstwhile CEO solicited funds from unknown sources that were channelled through Business Leadership,” the ANC said. The organisation should “reveal how much was paid to apartheid era agents” the statement continued.
CGG aims to carry out the work in the 2023-24 summer window, with seismic taking around four or five months to complete.
The first five bidders, named in December, were to build 860 MW of capacity. The ministry was seeking 1,000 MW. The DMRE said the IPP office and the bid adjudication committee had recommended Ngonyama.
OUTA also celebrated another success today in its efforts to enforce public transparency. Minister of Finance Enoch Godongwana withdrew an exemption that would have limited disclosures from Eskom. This would cover “any irregular expenditure and fruitless and wasteful expenditure” in its annual statements.